Stuff that occurs to me

All of my 'how to' posts are tagged here. The most popular posts are about blocking and private accounts on Twitter, also the science communication jobs list. None of the science or medical information I might post to this blog should be taken as medical advice (I'm not medically trained).

Think of this blog as a sort of nursery for my half-baked ideas hence 'stuff that occurs to me'.

Contact: @JoBrodie Email: jo DOT brodie AT gmail DOT com

Science in London: The 2018/19 scientific society talks in London blog post

Wednesday 19 May 2021

Wonder what happened to the blogger Lucky Jimm, courier / Mayfair squatter - say hi if you know him :)

On a Sunday in January 2009 a friend and I went to see Kind Hearts & Coronets in a squat at 39A Clarges Mews, Mayfair. It was part of a week long series of events and classes under the 'Temporary School of Thought' banner. As it was so close to Burns' night we took some veggie haggis from Fortnums around the corner. There were lots of people there admiring the incredible property and the ornate wallpaper etc and I got chatting to some of the squatters. One of them - Lucky Jimm / luckyjim - was hosting the film screening and I later came across his blog, which was an amazing read. Here's what I said about it in 2011.

"In an equivalent of discovering a book that you just can't put down, since coming across his blog I've been hooked, beguiled, ensorcelled (feel free to throw the thesaurus at this, as one word won't do) by the writing and can only hope he gets a shift on and writes a book. I usually read blogs because I'm interested in the topic and nice writing is a pleasant bonus. In this case the topics (squatting, gambling, cycling and drinking) aren't of particular interest to me but the (often poignant) mix of humour, angst, frankness and occasional whimsy has meant that I've found the blog electronically unputdownable." 

Sadly a few years later his blog, outlining his 'degenerate lifestyle', had entirely disappeared and none of it is available on the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine either though a few of his guest posts on other people's blogs are still extant, along with a Reddit AMA he did a few years ago. 

He moved his blog to a poker site so I signed up to read them there. Literally never played a poker game in my life but I enjoyed his writing that much. At some point that site went down ('gutshot', doesn't sound very comfortable) but I chatted to him several years later on another poker site, wishing him well and hoping he'd write a book. I will have to see if I can find the site, log in and say hello* ;) I vaguely remember something about a Hendon mob and various poker-playing groups but it's not my world so I've not kept up with any of it.

I'm hoping he's still alive and well and has a life that gives him pleasure, but I also hope he's written a book or two, or that he has a career writing something. If you know him don't tell me who he is (Lucky Jimm is obviously an assumed name!) but do tell him some random from 2009 and the internet hopes he's doing well :)

Lucky Jimm's guest posts on Harry's Place blog

A Trip To The Ocean (20 May 2009) - about the Ocean Estate which, weirdly, is the bus stop I sometimes alight at when going to work, at Queen Mary University of London.

Free (4 February 2010) - writing about Katharine Hibbert's book (she was a journalist who squatted to write about it, later lost her job and started to squat in earnest)

Outside Alexander McQueen's Flat, 5pm, Thursday (15 February 2010) - as a courier Jimm had collected packages from McQueen's offices.

I squatted mansions in Mayfair, London. AMA! (29 January 2010, date of archive capture) - Reddit

Temporary School of Thought (13 January 2009) - Londonist's visit.

*I created an account on the '2+2' poker forum but I can't work out how to send a message to anyone and am very much out of my depth haha so I will probably leave it for now.





2 comments:

  1. Funnily enough, I came across your blog looking for luckyjimm to see if he's still around.

    I actually met him around 2008, 2009 in Edinburgh. I staked him for some of his poker escapades and was paying him his winnings. We went for a few beers, he's a nice guy. I was friends with him on Facebook and stuff but can't seem to find him now.

    Sadly my love affair with poker ended and I lost touch with my old poker mates. Would like to know what he's up to these days and if he's still writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing Millar :)

    Seems he was posting on a poker forum in March 2020 https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/54/poker-beats-brags-variance/brag-im-going-after-mexicos-billionare-drug-lord-joaquin-guzman-435832/index43.html

    My comment is at the end of that page - "Whatever happened to @LuckyJimm - is he still (still) alive? Happy? Healthy? Has he written a book yet? The first three I wish for him, the last for me :-)" - but no reply as yet.

    Jo

    ReplyDelete

Comment policy: I enthusiastically welcome corrections and I entertain polite disagreement ;) Because of the nature of this blog it attracts a LOT - 5 a day at the moment - of spam comments (I write about spam practices,misleading marketing and unevidenced quackery) and so I'm more likely to post a pasted version of your comment, removing any hyperlinks.

Comments written in ALL CAPS LOCK will be deleted and I won't publish any pro-homeopathy comments, that ship has sailed I'm afraid (it's nonsense).