Stuff that occurs to me

All of my 'how to' posts are tagged here. The most popular posts are about blocking and private accounts on Twitter, also the science communication jobs list. None of the science or medical information I might post to this blog should be taken as medical advice (I'm not medically trained).

Think of this blog as a sort of nursery for my half-baked ideas hence 'stuff that occurs to me'.

Contact: @JoBrodie Email: jo DOT brodie AT gmail DOT com

Science in London: The 2018/19 scientific society talks in London blog post

Monday 23 March 2020

Coronavirus: extra Gov UK support for extremely vulnerable people in England

This https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable is the UK Gov's link to request extra help for anyone who is extremely vulnerable(1) because they have very serious underlying health conditions that put them at even greater risk from coronavirus complications. It includes people with severe asthma, cystic fibrosis, or people undergoing cancer treatment or who have received a transplanted organ etc. At the bottom of the page it links to information for people in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

The form will let them register (or you can register on someone else's behalf) to get help for essential supplies like food. It also says "If you're not sure whether your medical condition makes you vulnerable, register anyway."

I think this group is meant to be getting letters from GPs' surgeries this week and I suppose this is a sort of 'belts and braces' approach to ensure no-one is missed.

Here is the UK Gov's one-page overview of all "Coronavirus - what you need to do" information https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus

(1) This link covers what I think is meant by *extremely vulnerable* . ("Shielding is a measure to protect people who are clinically extremely vulnerable by minimising all interaction between those who are extremely vulnerable and others.")

This document doesn't seem to be available in other languages yet but if it becomes so I think they'd live here.

(2) This link covers is what I think is meant by *vulnerable*- ie people who have underlying health conditions such as asthma, diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure etc (but see the bit in my 2nd paragraph above about "If you're not sure...") as there are levels of severity. These are the people advised to be the 'most stringent' in observing social distancing measures.

It's also available in other languages.

Please note that I'm not medically trained, this is just general information about where to find public advice on the Government's website(s) about staying healthy and getting additional support :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment policy: I enthusiastically welcome corrections and I entertain polite disagreement ;) Because of the nature of this blog it attracts a LOT - 5 a day at the moment - of spam comments (I write about spam practices,misleading marketing and unevidenced quackery) and so I'm more likely to post a pasted version of your comment, removing any hyperlinks.

Comments written in ALL CAPS LOCK will be deleted and I won't publish any pro-homeopathy comments, that ship has sailed I'm afraid (it's nonsense).