Stuff that occurs to me

All of my 'how to' posts are tagged here. The most popular posts are about blocking and private accounts on Twitter, also the science communication jobs list. None of the science or medical information I might post to this blog should be taken as medical advice (I'm not medically trained).

Think of this blog as a sort of nursery for my half-baked ideas hence 'stuff that occurs to me'.

Contact: @JoBrodie Email: jo DOT brodie AT gmail DOT com

Science in London: The 2018/19 scientific society talks in London blog post

Friday 9 July 2021

Some of my favourite posts - a sort of retrospective post.

Occasionally I have what I think of as quite a good idea or at least an enjoyable notion so I've gathered up some of those posts, tagged them as 'brilliant wheezes' and have listed my favourites below. 

This blog has been running for twelve years now and most posts are 'hyperlocal' to a particular thought or event (eg a conference I've been to or something in the news), others are a bit more timeless... I hope you enjoy them :)

I've also been blogging long enough to know that shortly after publication of this post I'll start getting enthusiastic spam emails from people who hope that I can add a link to their really useful (and totally relevant) post on breathing difficulties ;)

The Imaginary Paddington 2 Science Festival (30 March 2021)
- there's plenty of science in the Paddington films.

Combining Careers - the interdisciplinary game / activity (30 June 2020)
- loved this idea of making a game of trying to think up possible careers based on picking any two subjects. I was very pleased to discover hairdressing archaeology, where someone works out the topology of complicated hairstyles of yore.

Art and medicine: visual literacy and things faithfully (though unwittingly) recorded in art and spotted later by medically trained people (3 January 2020)
- one of the most enjoyable posts I've ever written, on a topic that utterly fascinates me

Wondering if birds have perfect pitch (7 May 2017)

The Imaginary Maritime Science Festival - what would you have in your perfect science festival? (3 April 2017)

How to get tickets for something that might be sold out (1 October 2016)

The world is divided into people who listen to song lyrics and people who don't (17 November 2013)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment policy: I enthusiastically welcome corrections and I entertain polite disagreement ;) Because of the nature of this blog it attracts a LOT - 5 a day at the moment - of spam comments (I write about spam practices,misleading marketing and unevidenced quackery) and so I'm more likely to post a pasted version of your comment, removing any hyperlinks.

Comments written in ALL CAPS LOCK will be deleted and I won't publish any pro-homeopathy comments, that ship has sailed I'm afraid (it's nonsense).