Stuff that occurs to me

All of my 'how to' posts are tagged here. The most popular posts are about blocking and private accounts on Twitter, also the science communication jobs list. None of the science or medical information I might post to this blog should be taken as medical advice (I'm not medically trained).

Think of this blog as a sort of nursery for my half-baked ideas hence 'stuff that occurs to me'.

Contact: @JoBrodie Email: jo DOT brodie AT gmail DOT com

Science in London: The 2018/19 scientific society talks in London blog post

Sunday 18 July 2021

What was this video, at the Science or Natural History Museum?

I'm trying to remember / find info about a short video that was part of an exhibition at either the Science Museum or the Natural History Museum in London. It would have been somewhere between 1985 and 1995 I think. It had a woman dressed and painted as an alien (she had deeley bopper type things on her head) and she spoke a piece to the camera, addressing the viewer in her alien language, aka incomprehensible gibberish.

Moments later she repeated the exercise but this time she accompanied the piece with gestures, pointing to things and of course suddenly the spoken text made perfect sense. The viewer now knew her name, how to greet people and how to count to three (she had 3 deeley boppers and pointed to each 'one', 'two', 'three' in her language). 

I don't remember spotting the phrase "comprehensible input" in the video or accompanying text but that must have been what the exhibit was about, something I realised later when watching an interesting video about the topic as it applies to language acquisition (subconsciously, naturally) as opposed to learning (conscious effort / rote learning). 

Small children learn language by surmising meaning from sentences - in general they're not taught explicitly that X represents or means Y or how tenses work. Their brains can work out the underlying relationships between words, tenses and meanings from the information they're given, reinforced by repetition and variety.

Anyone who has no idea what a 'cow' is could work it out from someone pointing at some and saying "Look, cows".  

I think the alien was called 'Mim' and that she called her deeley boppers something like flumes or flunes but I can't remember anything else. She might have used 'Borag Thungg!' as 'hello' - but at the time I didn't know that that phrase came from Tharg the Mighty and it's possible I'm mis-remembering that.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment policy: I enthusiastically welcome corrections and I entertain polite disagreement ;) Because of the nature of this blog it attracts a LOT - 5 a day at the moment - of spam comments (I write about spam practices,misleading marketing and unevidenced quackery) and so I'm more likely to post a pasted version of your comment, removing any hyperlinks.

Comments written in ALL CAPS LOCK will be deleted and I won't publish any pro-homeopathy comments, that ship has sailed I'm afraid (it's nonsense).